Changing impressions

Himeji Castle, families having hanami

I guess what most changed in my impressions is the way that I think about japanese people before come here. At first I had an image that Japanese people should be quiet, reserved and distant.

As my living experience have been sliding I have noticed that there is still this kind of behavior in old people and less in younger japanese, who still is educated to be respectful in whatever environment. Rarely I saw couples holding hands together, hugging or kissing in public for example.


Japanese girls graduating in Kansai Gaidai

However, this kind of behavior do not make japanese people “cold”. I prefer saying that they are really respectful with other people and with their environment too. Naturally brazilians expect that everyone should be smily and friendly. Few days ago I learnt an expression with my friend, Misaki, which is “tanin doushi, reigi ari” and it means something close as “between strangers, there should be respect.” On the other hand I was really surprised with such energetic and “warm” japanese people that I met at university, hanamis, trips, parties and bus stops. Like anywhere in the world there are people who are more outgoing and those who are more reserved. There are brazilian who look more like japanese and japanese that look more like brazilian as anywhere in the world.


Exploring music festivals and making new friends

I got used with green tea in the bottle, I learnt to like miso soup and sticky rice and I discovered that the bus driver are not so naive as I thought before - besides the counting machine they are aware of eventually wrong amount of money. By japanese old ladies I was inspired to have a healthy and fulfillment life. Because of Hiromi Uehara and Yoshida Brothers I discovered that Japanese music goes beyond J-pop and J-rock. Finally, it capsule hotels are not so uncomfortable.


Capsule Hotel in Tokyo

And should be like that. Outside Japan, for who have never been here yet, there is an special atmosphere and I believe it will still be existing for a while. Despite all emerge in globalization dynamic, Japan will still be a curious place to explore and enjoy.

1 comments:

visual gonthros said...

Thanks for your interesting documentation of your experiences and adventures in Japan. I'm glad you did so much and met so many different kinds of Japanese people. You took a lot of very nice pictures!

Post a Comment